VR in the Classroom

So I have no doubt in my mind that you have heard of VR in the classroom at some point, be it as a student or an educator. But I would like to go more into depth about them and their potential uses here! Are they Fixture or Fad?

Here’s a video explaining the difference between AR and VR, along with potential uses!

The explanation that VR (virtual reality) takes place in an imaginary world, while AR (augmented reality) takes place in a partially real world was about the extent of my knowledge before researching this. All of my experience on the topic was in relation to video games like Minecraft and Beat Saber, which fully immerse you in the game world to solve tasks and puzzles. Which is true and useful in it’s own way- but there’s so much more too it than that, and I can show you what you can do with such a unique tool.

VR Allows students to explore places they would normally be unable too- Like art museum in Paris, far away mountains, historical landmarks in other countries, or space!! Which I think it incredible, what better way to learn than to see things in person? A benefit of both AR and VR is that because they are a visual medium, language is no longer an issue- you hear with your eyes, so to speak. So for ESL students, or even students who explore countries without their native language can make use of VR without worrying about missing any details.

AR allows students to be able to dive deep in learning and share their creations with others in the classroom! (Here’s some cool apps!)

There are numerous apps for use in the classroom that involve AR and VR learning, here’s a few to help you! Google VR/AR, HP Reveal, and Wonderscope to name a few!

But are they here to stay? It seems that yes, they are. Why? To quote Terry Heick “virtual realities can be designed precisely for human interaction for very specific reasons to create experiences not otherwise possible.”. VR/AR are new and invaluable tools in enriching students learning in ways we just couldn’t before.

Soooooo yeah, now that you can see the positives…. Let’s talk the biggest hurdle to getting VR/AR use in the classroom… Cost. The websites that sell VR headsets will only give you a price if you ask, so yeah, it can be described as expensive- we’re talking upwards of several thousand dollars for one class set. BUT, that payment will be good for several years, and can save money down the line by long trip not being necessary. Though of course, this can’t be feasible for all classrooms, I think that it’s worthwhile to have if your school can afford it!

Signing off, thanks for reading!

Cassie Peterman